Monday, March 11, 2013

Walk Monica, Walk

I watched Forrest Gump on a layover recently. I watched it as though I haven't seen it a kajillion times-- bawling when Jenny threw rocks at her childhood house and cheering when Lieutenant Dan walked into Forrest's wedding with prosthetic legs. After the movie ended I YouTubed Tom Hanks' acceptance speech for his much deserved Oscar (worth watching if you haven't) and cried hysterically. Something stirred in me that day, a feeling that has taken form and is ready to fly.

Running is a central theme to the movie, seen first when Forrest breaks free from his leg braces and runs to escape ridicule and harm. Jenny is his cheerleader; she urges him to Run Forrest, Run. Later in the film, Jenny is gone. Forrest is rocking in his rocking chair on his sprawling plantation porch, wordless and unblinking, staring miles ahead.  There is no monologue set to this scene, no narration or commentary. Forrest's expression says it all: his eyes have seen the breadth of loss; his heart has learned the depth of grief.  If there were words, they might be to the tune of "What. The. Hell." Or "Enough is Enough." Forrest stands up wearing his shiny new Nikes and starts running.  For three and a half years, he doesn't stop.

Ok, so I am not a runner. (And, please, Runners, don't write me and tell me that I could become a runner.) It hurts my knees and makes my face turn beat red and causes things to jiggle that have no business jiggling. And that's just after the first quarter mile. (Has anyone seen the Friends episode of Phoebe running? Yeah.) Still, I have this desire to move. I want to break free from my own shackles and fly.  Enough already.

Forrest's Mama said, "you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." This implies if not demands forward momentum. I am blessed with an army of friends and family who are nudging me along, cheering from the sidelines. I still haven't determined if I am running from or toward something, or if it really even matters.  I just know that it is high time I put one foot in front of the other. It is time to get going.

8 comments:

  1. You are the BEST! I love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lady! Love you too!! Next blog is gonna be about gardening :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog and love it! I love the way you make my heart feel every moment and breathe you take. I was told 12 year ago I would have trouble getting pregnant. I wondered for 11 years after that what my life would be like if I did not have kids? What would I do with my time? Who would take care of me when I was old? I spent time worrying and stressing and for nothing. I got pregnant with no issues. Life will turn out just as it should for you and your hunky hubby. When I went through my divorce I was a mess and zombie like watching the world pass by. I ran into an old friend at a restaurant and just mentioning the divorce sent me into a blubbering mess. The advice I got from that friend was to "just breathe". I could get through anythng as long as I got up each day and just focused on breathing. For some reason it struck a chord with me and it made the days seem much easier if I didn't have to think and worry about everything little thing. If I could just wake up and breathe I could muddle through anything. I would imagine this advice might come in handy for you. Everything will happen at the right time for you and your hubby relax and breathe and enjoy the newlywed years. I had to wait 12 years for my life to be better then I could have imagined. You are in love and can enjoy that for now and one day you WILL be a mom and a wonderful mom! I love and miss you Monica. Take care!
    Elizabeth Weber ( didn't have a profile so I published under anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, (can I still call you Liz?) ;)
      I thank you so much for sharing part of your journey. Your friend's advice is sound: just breathe. It makes each day a bit more bearable; it turns mountains into molehills. I also appreciate the perspective that you offer in that I am blessed to be in a loving, prosperous marriage. That alone is enough. Thank you for reading my blog! I think I am writing about relatable content: waiting. We are all waiting for something, right? I would love to have coffee one of these days...seek me out and let's meet up! Thanks, Liz, for your heartfelt commentary. XO

      Delete
  4. As long as you are slow enough, I have to do more walking to recover from my back surgery, Monica. Let's walk sometime and I'll tell you about the ministry you asked about. I'm usually here, but call me. We'll give it a burst of slow together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to knock on your door tomorrow. :) I am always up for a burst of slow.

      Delete
  5. What I truly love about reading your blog is that though I'm READING it I'm actually HEARING it. It transcends the written word somehow.

    That may only make sense to me as I'm certifiable................:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica -all your thoughts are so eloquently said. I feel each emotion, share each challenge with you and enjoy each observation.

    ReplyDelete